2011년 2월 24일 목요일

About Micheal Moore's "Join My High School Newspaper"

Michael Moore worte a letter to high school students to indicate that he is making a special place in his websiste for publishing ideas from them.
Though his suggestion is quite reasonable, I do not buy his way of expressing his thoughts.
He exaggerates too much.
Him saying lots of adjectives made me want to stop reading.
He might do a good job in persuading egocentric teenagers...but not people like me.

His idea of making high school newspaper is very attractive.
However, the reason I find this appealing is just because I will get "another" chance to publically post my opinions, not that I do not have anywhere else to.
Even though I am a student, I never felt that I do not have rights to post my opinions or say them aloud.
I've always played a important role in making decisions in my family.
My parents did not stop me from speaking out loud.
(I do not know what happens in American families, but I do not think that it is alot different.)
The case in the school is slightly different, but there are adequate reasons.
The school may restrict students from posting some opinions in the school newspaper.
However, since the school is a place where lots of people with lots of opinions gather, it is the school authorities' duty to adjust the differences.
One of the ways is to prevent the publishing of too colored opinions.
Besides, there are plenty of websites where one can express one's opinion.
For example, there are "Nate Pann"(Korean website for personal opinions), blogs, and even facebook.
There is no reason why the school newspaper should be the only place for one's thoughts.

Michael seems to encourage students to have negative opinions against the grown ups.
I think that it is he who is implanting bias in us.
He is trying to persuade us that all adults regard teenagers as not fully grown up and therefore do not have the right to express opinions.
Easy to say, but can you prove it? (Without making up ridiculous statistics?)

I have come up with three motions relating to this issue.

#1. THB: School newspapers must be censored by teachers.
#2. THS: The right of teenagers to vote.
#3. THS: The publicaton of political tencendies on school newspapers.

댓글 1개:

  1. Very well expressed and sober views. I agree with everything, actually. Your motions are all ready to debate except the last one - too vague.
    I think teens and adults need to work together, not against each other, and does it always have to be us and them? We're all humans, and, if anything, generation gaps are decreasing, not increasing. I think the modern age has hit a plateau, and the only thing you grew up with that I didn't is the iPhone (figuratively speaking). So yes, indeed - Moore is fanning imaginary flames to some extent. Good.

    답글삭제