2011년 3월 29일 화요일

30 days of "not doing ANYTHING"

     Every KMLA students seem to complain about all the works they have to do. The ridiculous amount of homework, quizzes, and presentations are killing them. Other people complain about the amount of the works they have, too. Most businessmen hate to go to work. Many children shudder at the fact that they have to go to school for at least twelve years. However, they are underestimating the importance of those works. Here, I suggest a perfect project, not only for KMLA students, but also for those who do not appreciate the thankfulness of "having something to do."
     The project will be, "not doing anything for 30 days." The procedure is simple. You will not be able to do anything except eating, sleeping, and going to the bathroom. You will stay at home, and not go to work or to school. You will not be allowed to go shopping, doing exercise, or going to beauty salons. You will get all the rest you longed for! What a perfect chance.
     However, the purpose of this project is not just taking enough rest. The true meaning of not doing anything is for you to understand the beauty of doing something. Old quotes say that your hands must be always busy. My grandparents used to tell me that people will feel very depressed when having nothing to do. They will not be able to find a meaning in their lives. If KMLA students are to join in this project, they will be able to acknowledge the school's purpose of making them work alot.
     There are some Korean words indicating those people who just stay at home and do nothing.  He or she is called a 건어물남(gun-a-mul-nam) or a 백수(baek-su) if it's a he, and 건어물녀(gun-a-mul-nue) or 백조(baek-jo) if it's a she. The picture above, is a typical gun-a-mul-nam. They are regarded as social harms and are told to children by their parents to never become one of those kinds. This project will help children to have an actual idea of how boring the life is when you do not have a job or a goal.
     Just for fun, I attach a UCC portraiting a Baek-su. A lady is bragging about his son, saying that he got accepted into a well-known company. She says that she lives in the enjoyment of raising her children. Just then, her son comes out of the closet. The last line says, "What else enjoyment would you have now?" It is supposed to be funny.......haha

댓글 1개:

  1. Before I begin - just a note from a teacher who's actually more of a writing teacher than a debate instructor:

    You have three plural problems in this sentence:
    Every KMLA students seem to complain about all the works they have to do.

    I'm sure you know - move an S around and get ride of another. ;) "Work" is almost always uncountable.

    Anyways - great idea, and I learned something to. I knew baeksoo but the other one is new.

    I've actually been a baeksoo at times. Before I got married I used to travel a lot by myself, and sometimes for up to a month I'd stay in one place and do as little as possible, sometimes not even talking. Nepal, India, and China are places I've done that. And even back home in Canada I'd visit my family and be really lazy for a few weeks. I love it, and think it's necessary once in a while. For me, personally, it's a chance to meditate on life and gear up for new horizons. I think ALL KMLA students should do a bit of this during vacations and DEFINITELY do so after graduating. By that, I don't mean sitting in a bedroom watching TV, but simply relaxing until it becomes stressful. It's not healthy to constantly do the same routine and give 100% 100% of the time. It's impossible and leads to 80% and eventually 50%. It's no coincidence that the school year is designed to feature summer and winter vacation, and it amazes me that some of you students either spend it here at GLPS or go to some academy for a month. I think staying at home, reading books, visiting friends, and enjoying life is more important and even more educational. But that's just me :)

    Good work.

    답글삭제