2012년 3월 28일 수요일

The last time I cried

Before you start, I want to tell you that I got pretty emotional while writing this so all the sentences might not connect with each other.
I feel like crying NOW - all my bones and muscles ache from today's cheerleading T.T
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


     I cry a lot. I cry when my shoulders hurt really badly and when I have too much homework to do. I cry when I do not feel like doing something that I absolutely know that I should. I cry when I miss somebody that I haven’t contacted for quite a long time or when I suddenly remember an embarrassing incident. Sometimes, I cry for no reason, too. I feel my eyes well up in the middle of a conversation they I was actually enjoying. But all these cries are not the same. Sometimes a single tear would do the job and sometimes I would have to cry until I cannot cry any longer.
     Since I frequently cry, I do not remember that well of the “last” time I cried. But I certainly do remember the last time I cried my heart out. It was last year’s November – all the students were preparing for the Minjok Sarang Concert.
     I became the head chief of our school’s one and only musical club, Stars on Stage (SOS), in September. So eager to start my year, I planned to take extra good care of our members and draw out the best result we could make. I knew that we had a concert in November, so I decided to set things straight. I asked the members to voluntarily participate for the concert for only those who really want to do it. Only few of us remained so we had to ask people outside of our club to join us. The procedure took a long time, therefore not leaving us enough time to practice for the performance.
     Two of our members wrote the fifteen minute script for us to perform. It had all the lines and songs to compactly portray the musical we were playing – “Hairspray.” We had an expert musical actress to coach us with our singings and our dance routines. We did the best we could for about two or three weeks. It did improve, yes it did, but it was not enough to perform on the stage. We knew in our hearts that this could end up being a humiliation. Then we perform for the rehearsal, two weeks before the concert. All the students were watching us. And yes, we did sort of end up as something to make fun of. I wasn’t so heartbroken then, although I did spent the whole nights up straightening out the scripts, making dance routines, and teaching the members about them. I was tired, though. I felt that I was the only person who eagerly wanted to make this performance a success. I wanted to do it, but with whom? Who was with me? Well, I’m still not so sure about that even until now.
     The result of the rehearsal was rather terrifying. Our performance, which was supposed to be the first play in the second scene, was put off to the third. And for the worse, our performance time was shortened to seven minutes. We were supposed to do a musical performance in “seven minutes.” It brought all the members down. Most of us did not even feel like doing this whole nonsense anymore. I, too, felt very much depressed. But still, I did not cry.
     We had to start all over again. We threw away the script we had and we started a whole new performance consisting of four songs and no lines. The dance routine had to be remade due to the new songs. We had to do it in two weeks. I literally did not have time to sleep, for I was in charge and I had the responsibility to make this alright.
     The first week was a disaster. All the members had to memorize four songs and our coach was constantly scolding us for not paying attention, being off-key, and not big voice and yatty yatty yatta. I had to stay up all nights choosing costumes and calling the rental services for the size of the costumes and renting fees. I had to stay up all nights assigning each of the lyrics to each member. The songs themselves had to be edited, which was a hard procedure. There was way too much burden. I felt like crashing down.
     On the next practice I burst into tears, or rather, I exploded into tears. We were severely told off because we kept on complaining about all the things – the time, the songs, the dance routines, and the concert itself. The coach yelled at us for being rude and stupid.

     I spent months preparing for this whole thing. I spent all my time and effort on it, even on times I knew that this wouldn’t work out well. I had hope that someday the members would understand all the hard works that I had to do. I put up with all the complaints – “I don’t like this costume,” “I want longer lines,” “I have a big quiz so I cannot come to the practice.” I smiled and again thought of alternative plans with no one helping me. I tried to look cheerful even though I felt like punching every single one of them in the face. And what do I get? WHAT DO I GET FOR ALL THESE CRAP I HAD TO DO? Well, I would have preferred getting nothing. But I did get something. I got, ta-da, a finger in my face! How wonderfully ironic.
     I cried because I felt sorry for myself. All my work was done for the goodness of our club, for the success of our club. I tried so hard to make it work. Through the tears I told every single member what I thought. I told them to quit it now, if they didn’t want to do it. And a girl managed to point at my face and yell “YOU DON’T HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY THAT.” Well? You, missy, don’t have the right to stay in my f***ing club.

댓글 9개:

  1. As a person who did not participated in the Minjok sarang musical, I feel kind of sorry for you. But, I think despite all the conflicts that you had with the members, what you decided to do (to lead the club for the performance) was a right choice. Thank you for making the club much more popular and cool than before. If you organize the essay once more, this can be turned into a college essay I guess.

    답글삭제
  2. uhh... yeah... emotional....
    well, i'm not sure what to say. it sure is interesting though. i feel sorry for you, though i would have to listen to the voices of others members as well.
    You have a talent of writing an essay that is easy to read and engaging. Keep up with the good work!

    답글삭제
  3. I was really impressed your and SOS's performance at the Minjok sarang concert, and so I do think all your efforts deserve a recognition. I know the feeling when others think my efforts and hardship for granted. Whoever else would cry at that moment

    답글삭제
  4. This can totally be a college essay, and there are other details missing from the entire situation that could emphasize how BIG this thing was. The fact that the school decided to use this as a ploy to get cash to build a dormitory that YOU won't be here to use. The fact that the school spent tons of cash renting a world class facility and basically forced THE STUDENTS to become performers. The fact that every act HAD to be above and beyond normal expectations placed on a "high school concert." It had to be the essence of KMLA - which is not easy to live up to, and may in fact be a bit of hyperbole in some ways.

    So you could add all that to show how it really was a pressure cooker.

    What is missing from this is a paragraph or two about you learning a lesson, and accepting the fact that being a true leader means being above and beyond what you say in that last line etc. You'd have to soften the tone and look at things from the coach's point of view. Basically you guys got a taste of showbiz on a small scale, and probably got to experience a day in the life of the Wonder Girls. I bet you they cry a lot for the same reasons times 100.

    All in all great writing and a flowing read. The SOS thing could easily become a very good college essay using a lot of the above.

    답글삭제
  5. Actually I like that it's very emotional. From an academic perspective, I think this essay was actually a very good portrayal of your thoughts and personality, a very honest description of yourself (I'm not being critical at all here). I think that by writing this you would have gotten to know yourself better, so it will be beneficial later on.
    From the perspective of a reader, I like it because it's fun ㅋㅋㅋㅋ I want to get you an axe.

    답글삭제
  6. I think I can quite see you through the essay :9

    I enjoyed reading this, but one comment I'd like to leave is that
    you may want to revise the paragraphs; they're kinda...chopped?
    It may be better to combine a couple of them!

    답글삭제
  7. Interesting story:) I really liked your performance last year. Nice flow makes me more into your writing. I also had experiences of performance and I know how it feels when your group doesn't seem to work out well. Seems like it would be better what you finally earned from leading your members..about what you learned about it and how you got to understand them, you know, it seems like things finally worked out well last year:) A fun read, by the way:)

    답글삭제
  8. Interesting....the feeling you've gone through is perhaps what most club leaders would feel at least once in their terms, I think. After reading, I knew how hard you worked for the club and could find your passion for the club.

    for improvements, why don't you write the essay with same topic, but with a bit more positive ending?

    답글삭제
  9. I think your writing is really good. As I kept reading this essay, I was able to make images of you and other SOS members practicing hard for the performance. It also send me a strong message that you actually devoted yourself into the show and earned a valuable lesson from it. Your tear must be the tear of happiness, not the tear of sadness. Your tear really moved me.

    답글삭제